Is It For You?
Skills & Talents
Facts & Trends
Finance Consulting Companies
Financial consultants provide financial advice to
corporations and money managers.
This advice may involve the strategies for creating shareholder value, business valuation, M&A advisory,
economic forecasts and analysis or suggestions for Treasury management. Hot topics include
valuation of internet companies, real options and corporate financial systems.
Firms involved in this growing area include:
- Boston Consulting Group
- HOLT Associates division offers advice on creating shareholder value and measuring return.
- Hackett Group
- Known for benchmarking treasury and finance functions against other companies.
- Houlihan Lokey Howard & Zukin
- Houlihan is a hybrid investment bank/consulting firm that combines creative M&A
advisory with top notch valuation work.
- Ibbotson Associates
- Provides consulting on the cost of equity and known for publishing annual
guides to asset returns around the world. Also offers asset allocation software
to securities firms and the pension planning industry.
- LEK Consulting
- Focuses on strategy with a financial lens. Known for pioneering work
in shareholder value consulting and M&A advisory.
- A top notch value-based management shop that focuses on deep divisional
value enhancement and executive performance.
- McKinsey & Co.
- Does lots of M&A studies and corporate finance advisory.
- Does excellent work in real options, capital efficiency, M&A studies
and corporate finance.
- Stern Stewart & Co.
- Provides EVA methodology for shareholder value creation. (EVA is a trademark
of Stern Stewart). The company also works with companies on corporate finance
strategies for enhancing value (e.g. share repurchases, dividend cuts).